Excerpt from the 60 page Lilly Walters e-Report:
How to Create Great Demo Tapes and Promotional Packages!
The promotional package is sent to prospective clients who wants to consider you. You fill the kit individually for each prospect. Be sure that you send only the most appropriate materials. It is often used at a board meeting where the client is considering several speakers. The purpose of the kit is to show them who you are and what subjects you cover in your presentation. In this instance, the promotional package is an invaluable asset in helping you find and close bookings.
To obtain those great publicity interviews on TV, radio, or for magazine and newspaper you will also need a promotional packages.
Cherished Myths of Expensive Demo Tapes
You will hear everyone in the speaking industry tell you that you must have a superb video and an expensive brochure to get started. This is one of the tragic myths of the speaking industry! In your first few years you do not need to create a video, nor an expensive brochure.
DON'T GET A VIDEO! DON'T CREATE A FANCY BROCHURE
First you will create your career. First, work on creating at least 50 bookings in the $500 or under category. Then you will need to create the more costly tools. These will help bring you into to a higher price bracket. They will help you raise your fees and gain prestige and publicity.
Money Wise Strategies For Your First Few Years
In your first few years of your speaking career, your promotional package and everything in it will constantly change! PLEASE do not create a lovely four color, 20 page brochure and print 2000 of them! Produce your packages and the marketing tools in them with the minimum quantity possible for the need at hand. Likewise, use less expensive production options:
- Two color instead of four color,
- Audio instead of video demo tapes,
- Instead of having a printer created customized folders or brochures for you, purchase color presentation folders from the stationary store. These can be customized one at time in your office for each customer. You can print out a color elegant front for your folder on clear plastic "paper" and stick these to the front of your folder. Sign them with a metallic gel pen on the cover for a classy look.
- Print your promotional items in small quantities, 20 -50 at a time on your own computer and printer.
- Make good use of electronic materials you can e-mail (see the section on One Sheets.
As you have more bookings, and your fees increase, the image your promotional materials project must take on a higher quality and more expensive image as well. You and your materials must "look the part of excellence."
Designing Marketing Tools To Boost Your Income
Before you begin, think of all the materials you hope to create (see further on in this chapter) and design them to match each other in style, content and color.
As you look at your proposed design for a promotional item, ask yourself these questions, does it show, not tell the prospect that:
- The audience likes you!
- You are an expert on the topic the buyer wants.
- You speak well
Assume They Will Never Look Inside and Can't Read
Design your materials with the thought that the buyer may never look inside! Keep it simple and too the point. The front page must include:
- Your benefit laden topic.
- Your name.
- A line or two of qualifications on this particular subject.
- How the buyer can find you (Actually this does not need to go on the front, but it must on at least every other page: your address or the speakers bureau that recommended you.)
- Your picture.
The "benefit filled TOPIC" is what must jump out at the buyer. It should also be ...
Contents of Lilly Walters' 60 page e-Report on: Creating Great Demo Tapes and Promotional Packages
Money Wise Strategies For Your First Few Years
- Don't Get A Video! Don't Create A Fancy Brochure
- Your First Promotional Package
- Where To Cut Costs
- Costs of Promotional Kits
- What Are the Odds?
- What Do You Call Your Package?
Marketing Design Ideas For Promotional Packages
- Assume They Will Never Look Inside and Can't Read
- What Goes On the Front Page
- What To Include On Every Page
- Designs and Colors That Sell!
- Matching Colors Look Elegant
- The Grocery Store Promotional Package Design Method
- The Magazine Cover Promotional Package Method
What Goes In Great Promotional Packages
- Customize Your Package!
- Minimum Requirements To Include In Your Kits
- More Good Ideas To Include In Your Kits
- The Big Three! Letterhead, Business Cards and Postcards:
- Marketing Tips With The Big Three
- Cover Letter Tips
- One Sheets! Most Important, Least Expensive
- Presentation Folders
- Presentation Folders on a Budget
- Testimonials and Letters of Recommendation
- How to Get Letters of Recommendation
- Your Photograph
- How To Get The Type of Photo You Need
- Your Fee Schedule/Menu of Services
- Fee Schedules and Menu of Services
- Top Competitive Audio, Video and CD Brochures
- Best Format for Demo Tapes
- Demo Tape Tips!
- Rules For Creating Good Demos
- Tips and Tricks to Creating Good Demos
- Other Things to Include In Your Demo
- Demo Tape Length
- Prepare a Tape For Each Topic
- How To Get Your Presentation Taped
Video or CD? Bureaus and Meeting Planners Comment From The Upcoming 2004 Speaking Industry Report
- BUREAUS: Many speakers are switching to CD demos instead of video. Is this a good idea? (Reply: Yes or No.)
- BUREAUS: Do you have any thoughts about the preferred format - video, CD, or other for speakers demos? Please explain.
- Bureaus Thoughts On Why Video Is Better
- Bureaus Thoughts On Why CDs Are Better
- Bureaus Thoughts On Why Both Have Good Qualities
- BUREAUS: Do you have any thoughts about what you like to see on the demo, regardless of the format? Please explain.
- No Talking Heads!
- PLANNERS: Many speakers are switching to CD demos instead of video. Is this a good idea?
- PLANNERS: Do you have any thoughts about the preferred format - video, CD, or other for speakers demos? Please explain.
- PLANNERS: Do you have any thoughts about what you like to see on the demo, regardless of the format? Please explain.
Create Send-able Flexible Materials
- Creating E-mailable Materials
- Attaching Files
- Problems With Attached Files (Other Than PDFs)
- Using HTML E-Mail
- Creating E-Mail Marketing Materials So Everyone Can Read Them
- Tips For Internet Marketing & Web Pages
Comments From Speakers Bureaus About Promotional Packages from Lilly Walters Speaking Industry Reports
- BUREAUS: When a speaker approaches you for the first time, would you rather it be via:
- Sample comments from Bureaus about first contact:
- Bureaus Comments on Promotional Packages
In Summary: Demo Package Don'ts!